Skip to main content

Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath


    Since this is my first blog post, I thought it would be appropriate to start with the album that started the genre of metal, Black Sabbath by Black Sabbath. This album is possibly one of the most influential albums ever made, not only because it was the first metal album ever made, but also because it kick-started several other related genres of music such as doom metal, stoner metal, and psychedelic metal.
    Although in my opinion this isn't the best Black Sabbath, it is definitely one of my favorites. The album starts out strong with one of my favorite Black Sabbath songs, and the first ever doom metal song, "Black Sabbath" (on the album Black Sabbath by the band Black Sabbath, Black Sabbath Cubed if you will). This song does a great job of creating a heavy sense of dread and impending doom, which puts shivers down my back whenever I listen to it. This song also set the seeds of occultism and satanism which are now common themes in modern metal.
    Sadly the other songs on the album aren't quite as heavy and foreboding as the first, but there are still several other stand out songs on the album. Some of these songs are "The Wizard," "N.I.B.," and "Wicked World." "The Wizard" is kind of a fun song which has a cool harmonica part and tells a story of a friendly wizard, "N.I.B." is a song with cool guitar riffs, which according to Geezer Butler, the bassist and lyricist, is "about the devil becoming a good person," and "Wicked World," my second favorite track on the album, is a song that has very catchy guitars and lyrics. The meaning of that one you can basically get from the title.  The other songs on the album are also pretty good and it's worth listening to the whole thing strait through.

     

               1.)  Black Sabbath
               2.)  The Wizard
               3.)  Wasp / Behind the Wall of Sleep / Bassically / N.I.B.
               4.)  Wicked World
               5.)  A Bit of Finger / Sleeping Village / Warning

          Comments

          Post a Comment

          Popular

          Молчат Дома - Этажи

          You may be wondering, 'Is the band Молчат Дома, who created the album, Этажи, a foreign band?' and 'Are they going to be singing some non-english language, perhaps Russian?' The answer to both of these questions is yes. I can't remember how I found this album originally, but one day it came up in my YouTube recommended, I instantly recognized the cover, and decided to give it a listen. It was really good. It reminded of me listening to Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures for the first time. Note: In this review, I italicize Russian words written in the Roman alphabet, put "quotation marks" around English translations, and do nothing to Russian words written in the Cyrillic alphabet. Молчат Дома or Molchat Doma (roughly translates to "The Houses are Silent") is a 'cold wave' band. This is a genre of music that I don't know too much about, but from what I understand the genre is close to goth, except more detached and minimalistic. Si...

          Death Grips - The Money Store

                  In my recent review of Cattle Decapitation - The Anthropocene Extinction, I mentioned how I was surprised how much I liked that band, despite previously not being a fan of the genre. Well here I am again, and this time I'm even more surprised. A while ago, looking to expand my musical horizons, I talked to some of my friends about wanting to try to find some hip-hop that I liked, and knowing my music taste, one of them recommended that I checked out Death Grips. When I first listened to their most popular album, The Money Store, I was skeptical, but their unique blend of hip-hop, industrial, and noise spoke to me. Over the next few weeks I started listening to their other releases. Now, call me Anthony Fantano because I'm a fan of Death Grips. Now, enough about me, lets talk about the band.         Death Grips is an experimental industrial hip hop band from California, consisting of Zach Hill, Andy ...

          Warbeast - Enter the Arena

          I feel like in order to be a real music enthusiast, you have to enjoy browsing the local record shop, looking for new albums to listen to. This is how I got Enter the Arena ; the cool cover art attracted me to it, and after listening to a track, I decided to buy it. Warbeast is an somewhat underground thrash metal band which formed in 2006 as Texas Metal Alliance. Really, what kind of name is Texas Metal Alliance? It sounds like the name of some kind of metal program started by the chamber of commerce. It's not really surprising that they changed their name to Warbeast in 2008, a much cooler name. The singer of Warbeast was also the singer of Rigor Mortis, a much more well known speed thrash band. Warbeast has a sound heavily influenced by Pantera, which is not surprising considering both bands formed in Arlington, Texas. Both bands have hard hitting tough guy vocals, although Warbeast is more thrashy. Warbeast also has some Anthrax influences, occasionally doing the talk-singing ...